How to Save Phone Battery in the BackcountrySmartphones have become an increasingly popular alternative to conventional GPS devices particularly because their large screens make it easy to view detailed topographical maps while using navigational apps.
One such app is Gaia GPS, but the following tips for how to preserve battery life in the backcountry can apply to any time you’re using your phone in the wild.
- Download maps before you go offline
- Use Airplane Mode
- Avoid Exposing your phone to extreme temperatures
- Shut down apps you don’t need
- Customize location services
- Lower screen brightness
- Turn off your phone when you don’t need it
- Bring a backup power source
Check out the details of the list here.